Goblin Diaries, Vol 35: A Goblin's Decision
From the 09/25/2026 newsletter:
Goblin Diaries, Vol 35: A Goblin’s Decision
7th
day of Ice Moon, 1219th Year, Human Age of Magic, early morning …
So much has happened since my last journal
entry, and I’ve made a decision!
Erin and I reached the Valley of Kilaren
and her family farm yesterday around mid-morning. We were greeted by a young
man named Anders Grenersen, who has been taking care of her farm while she was
gone. His initial joy at Erin’s return was short-lived, for he was devastated
by the news that her sister and the sell sword Tsing had fallen in love and
remained behind in Zemburith.
Apparently, young Anders was himself
enamored of Shia Callen and had been hoping to ask for her hand in marriage
upon their return. He shared this with Erin, along with his struggles to stave
off one of the local landowner’s attempts to purchase the Callen farm during
her absence.
The two commiserated late into the night
about their respective lost loves and the challenges of moving forward with
their lives. In the end, Erin set a short-term goal of keeping the farm and
finding a way to make it through the spring shearing, after which she will
evaluate her prospects in light of whatever profit she makes from the herds
gathered in the west meadow. Anders pledged his support, offering what free
labor he could past his obligations to his own family’s farm.
It was then that they turned to me. Erin
affirmed her previous offer to have me stay with her until the mountain pass is
cleared of snow, opening the road to Elm Grove, where the East Road intersects
the North Road leading to Arleanne. But Anders suggested an alternative.
Odd occurrence though it was, a winter
caravan had come to the valley the week before. They were just finishing up
their business and planning to return via the East Road across the Great
Desert. If I want, I could travel with them to a port in the Eastern Kingdoms,
take a berth on a ship sailing to Arleanne, and possibly reach my destination a
full month sooner than anticipated.
But I said, no. I’ve decided to stay and
help Erin work on the farm over the winter and lend a hand with the spring
shearing. It’s the least I can do for this woman who saved my life and has
become such a good friend.
And I think she’ll be pleasantly surprised
at the kind of work a goblin can do.
