Goblin Diaries, Vol 33: The East Road and Erin's Story


 From the July 24, 2026 Newsletter ...

5th day of Ice Moon, 1219th Year, Human Age of Magic, just before dawn …

Late yesterday afternoon, we reached the bottom of a gradual descent from the foothills of the Darinian Mountains and emerged onto a broad, flat plain and the intersection of a road. I didn’t say anything, but I immediately recognized its elven design and construction. Sure enough, Erin announced, “We have reached the East Road.”

To the right, the road took a straight path into dunes on the eastern horizon. Erin pointed to the left, where the road wound its way into the mountains behind which the sun was beginning to set. “My home is a day-and-a-half’s ride in that direction.”

“Should we continue on,” I asked, pointing to a well-used campsite in the shelter of a nearby cliff, “or should we camp there and get an early start in the morning?”

She hesitated, then sighed. “It’s probably best to camp here.”

I interpreted her hesitation as indicating her eagerness to get home, but I found out later it was not.

Erin went to get water from a stream she knew of nearby while I prepared a cooking fire. Aside from the absence of a well, this campsite has all the amenities of one of the waystations the elves constructed when they originally built the North and East roads in Panprama. An oven had been bricked into the side of the cliff, and sleeping pallets carved into the cliff wall, away from the sand. Further exploration revealed a well-used latrine hidden behind some large boulders that included a bucket filled with lime to kill the smell of human waste.

I commented on all of this when Erin returned with the filled waterskins, and she confirmed the site had been used for as long as she could remember by the caravans preparing to cross the Great Eastern Desert. “I’ve stayed here before, myself,” she sighed, after which she descended into a period of melancholy that lasted through our evening meal. I even caught her wiping a tear from her eye once or twice.

She’d not had one of these spells for almost a week, and I’ll have to admit, it distressed me. One of the things I’ve noticed that humans share with goblins is that, although we’re often reluctant to share our problems with others, it often helps to do so. In the most apologetic and gentle manner I could muster, I asked her why she was suddenly so sad.

As I had feared, my question brought about more tears. But she told me a story that confirmed many of my suspicions about who this remarkable woman really is.

Erin Callen is the young novice the dragon Pieter told me of who was tasked by the Guild of Dream Walkers to help the mercenary Tsing fulfill the prophecy of Ka’il Idreth! I am certain of it.

And, oh, how she has suffered from being drawn into this cruel joke played upon the human race by those mischievous faeries, Fauche and Floreze! And I’m not without guilt, for it was my poking around that forced their hand in releasing the artifact into the hands of the warlock Mazuom.

After hearing her story, I’ve not been able to sleep. If there was ever a human being who less deserved the burdens placed upon her, it is this young woman. I must find a way to help relieve her of them. But how?


Popular posts from this blog

The Deep-Seated Psychological Reasons I Write About Werewolves

Goblin Diaries, Vol 13: Escape!

Goblin Diaries, Vol 24: Angel of Mercy