Focus on AI

 AI (Artificial Intelligence) is an unavoidable hot topic these days. It's hard to go anywhere online without running into it in some form or another. Virtual assistants exist on most browser platforms. Its applications for science research and business management are up and running everywhere. We're constantly bombarded with ads for its use.

AI is here to stay--and it's only going to get more prolific.

Even though it's becoming familiar--thus breeding contempt--it's still scary. It can out-think and out-perform every human on the planet, and that should make anyone justifiably nervous.

As a sci-fi writer with an overactive imagination, I admit to constantly searching faces in a crowd for Terminators sent back in time by the machines that are surely taking over in the not-to-distant future.

Perhaps a more realistic fear is that AI will soon replace humans in nearly every creative endeavor. For an artist--which I call myself on a good day--that's an End of Days scenario. AI is already writing and publishing. (Amazon now requires authors to declare whether any content in their books is AI generated.) 

I can barely keep up with the output of other human writers. No way could I compete with an AI author. I'm afraid. I'm very afraid.

But fear is the mind-killer. Right? So, no matter how justifiable it is, it needs to be embraced. I need to let it pass over and through me. And when it has gone past, I will turn my inner eye to see its path.

There are some in the author community who are advocate using AI for things other than actual composition of their books. I've attended webinars on utilizing it for ad or blurb copy writing and image creation for book covers. 

Personally, that feels like cheating to me. I've spent a lot of blood, sweat and tears learning to write decent ad copy. And I respect my book cover artist (Ivan Zanchetta) too much to replace him with a machine.

But I have used a few AI-driven image creation programs for social media graphics, and I've come to rely more and more on Microsoft's Co-pilot for quick research when I'm stumbling through writing a scene.

Trevor the Goblin (see my blog archives for the Goblin Diaries posts) was created by AI software. And check out the AI-generated images below that you'll find in character profiles for my upcoming Song of Tsing epic fantasy series.



Cool, huh?

But the thing that has helped me embrace AI the most, is the answer from Co-pilot when I posed the question, "What are the top three qualities of human beings that make us worthwhile?"

Copilot:

Certainly! As human beings, we possess several remarkable qualities that contribute to our worth and significance. Here are the top three qualities that make us worthwhile:

  1. Empathy: Our capacity to understand and share the feelings of others is a fundamental quality. Empathy allows us to connect with people on a deeper level, offer support, and foster compassion. It enables us to build meaningful relationships and contribute positively to our communities.
  2. Creativity: Human creativity is a powerful force. Our ability to imagine, innovate, and create art, technology, and solutions sets us apart. Whether it’s composing music, writing poetry, or designing groundbreaking inventions, our creativity enriches our lives and drives progress.
  3. Resilience: Life presents challenges, setbacks, and adversity. What makes us worthwhile is our resilience—the ability to bounce back, learn from failures, and keep moving forward. Our determination, adaptability, and courage allow us to overcome obstacles and grow stronger in the face of adversity.

Remember, these qualities not only define our worth but also shape our impact on the world. 🌟

I figure, if AI can recognize these qualities in us, we're safe--for the time being.

See you next time. Happy Reading!

-Red Wolf John

Popular posts from this blog

The Deep-Seated Psychological Reasons I Write About Werewolves

The Real Red Wolves

The Old Man and the Bike