Waiting for the Next Book in a Series

I recently had a message from a friend on Goodreads, saying she’d just finished reading the first two books of my Red Wolf Saga and was eager for a third. I love it when a reader becomes drawn into the world I’ve created and wants more, and as a relatively new author, her message definitely made my day.
I assured her that the third book, Red Wolf Rising, was now in the editing and beta reader process, and would be available soon. (Check out the teaser for it by clicking on the My Books page tab at the top of my blog.) I allowed myself to bask in the glow of having my work appreciated for a moment, and then I began to reflect on what it’s like for a reader who gets involved in a series that’s not finished yet.
Believe me, I’ve been there. I hate it.
Maybe it’s because I got spoiled when I first started reading books in a series. As a boy, Edgar Rice Burrough’s Tarzan books, Isaac Asimov’s Foundation Trilogy, and Tolkein’s Lord of the Rings were all finished by the time I got to them, and I was able to devour them one-after-another without a break. That’s the way it should be.
But, I remember discovering the Harry Potter books when only the third one had been written. I did not like having to wait for J.K. Rowling to get off her duff and finish the final four volumes! And since then I’ve regularly had to nervously chew fingernails waiting for the likes of Charlaine Harris, Patricia Briggs and Richelle Mead to quit piddling around and provide the next installment of something they’ve got me hooked on.
Of course, now that I’m on the other side of the author-reader connection, I can appreciate the time and effort it takes to complete each labor of love that eventually becomes that one-click, instant gratification on amazon.com.
But believe me, dear reader, I still feel your pain. And I promise to work as hard as I can to get the next installment of the Red Wolf Saga out as soon as possible.

Here are some of the incomplete series I’m impatiently waiting for…

I just finished the second book in this paranormal/sci-fi/dystopian series by one of my favorite authors. God knows when the next one will be available.

Aussie Kristy Berridge is taking her sweet time getting the third book out in this nifty series with a unique view of vampires, werewolves, and the secret society that tries to keep them in check

It's taken forever for Red Tash to get the second installment of this series to beta. There's no telling when the third and final, Troll or Trash, will be ready.



Are you waiting for the next book in an incomplete series? Let me know with a comment.

     Okay, now, that’s it for now. Look for me again in a few weeks. In the meantime, Happy Reading!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Deep-Seated Psychological Reasons I Write About Werewolves

Vella Could Change Everything

Release Day!